Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Birds, Bees, and Florence and the Machines

The Bird and the Bee have been dominating my iTunes for the past month, so I think it's time to spread the love. This duo makes some of the catchiest, deceptively sweet pop music I've ever heard. The saccharine vocals of lead singer Inara George sound even better when they ask snidely, "would you ever be my, would you be my fucking boyfriend?" Their layered, resonating vocal sound recalls the Beegees, while the hand-clap action on nearly every track reminds us that we're in the golden age of electronic drum-machines and musical acid trips. With hand-claps and xylophones galore, their music is like something out of a childhood fantasy after an 8-ball or three. Delicious.

Love Letter to Japan - Bird and the Bee - mp3

My Love - Bird and the Bee - mp3

Fucking Boyfriend - Bird and the Bee - mp3

Florence and the Machine is Florence Welch's vehicle for awesomeness. Don't be fooled by appearances - her cover of Candi Staton's "You Got The Love" has got honest-to-gawd soul in spades. Though some might argue this song never sounds as good as when Sienna Miller is mouthing "rape me" to an unsuspecting drug lord (thanks for that visual, Layer Cake) , this cover comes pretty damn close.

You Got The Love - Florence and the Machine - mp3

No comments:

Post a Comment